Important Information from NE Game & Parks!
Act Now to Enroll Your Land
Program Benefits Landowners, Hunters and Anglers
Enrollment is currently underway for the 2010 season in Nebraska’s Open Fields and Waters Program.
This is the second year for this statewide, pilot program, which pays landowners who allow walk-in hunting and fishing access to their enrolled property. Landowners are protected by Nebraska’s Recreation Liability Act, and help pass on Nebraska’s rich outdoor heritage.
Hunters and anglers benefit from the program by gaining expanded access to private lands.
The Open Fields and Waters program complements the Conservation Reserve Program-Management Access Program (CRP-MAP). While the focus of CRP-MAP is upland game, Open Fields and Waters targets habitat for deer and turkey hunting and also opens streams, ponds and lakes to public fishing access.
The program began this past fall, with contracts providing access on enrolled acres from Sept. 1 through Aug. 31. There are presently 37,242 acres available for public hunting and fishing access, including 371 acres of ponds and lakes and 38 miles of stream.
Enrolled acres are published in the Nebraska Public Access Atlas, which also includes other public areas, including CRP-MAP. Enrollment in CRP-MAP is also open at this time through Commission district offices.
Landowners interested in Open Fields and Waters should contact their nearest Commission district office as soon as possible to ensure a place in the program.
Source: February News from Outdoor Nebraska, Nebraska Game and Parks, 2010 Fishing Forecast
- The last night of the NE Game & Parks “Family Fishing Night” summer event is tonite @ Halleck Park Lake in Papillion!
- Check out the latest educational opportunities available through the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission! There’s something for everyone!
- River City Hunting & Fishing Expo @ the Mid-America Center, Council Bluffs IA
- Investing in the Great Outdoor$!!
- Sixth Annual Wild Game & Fish Expo @ Westside Church, 150th & W Dodge Rd, Omaha NE